Community Adventure Project
Welcome Adventurer, make yerself at home.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome Adventurer, make yerself at home.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fix or Improve??
Suggestions EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 10:12 pm by Drgnwlkr

» Is there...
Suggestions EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 10:39 am by Tavion

» Resetting Journal
Suggestions EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:38 pm by Subnormal

» Golem Builder By Borojb
Suggestions EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 1:32 pm by Tavion

» Hack K & L
Suggestions EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 pm by Tavion

» Help with the haks
Suggestions EmptyFri May 31, 2013 7:34 pm by Wyrdwolf

» Character Retirement not working
Suggestions EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:43 am by MannyJabrielle

» Yankeeyiddos.com
Suggestions EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 am by Drgnwlkr

» The Grimm is back!
Suggestions EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:41 am by borojb

Suggestions

4 posters

Go down

Suggestions Empty Suggestions

Post  JFK Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi there,

I hope its okay to create a thread like this. I thought it'd be cool to offer any suggestions regarding your awesome game. Maybe you'd rather it was just individual suggestions, and if so, then you could delete this or edit the title.

Okay, my first suggestion is a script system for putting objects on top of other objects, like a PC putting his beer mug on the table top. I posted this idea on the Bioware social site too, in the thread asking for Script Ideas.

System goal:

To allow for placement of objects atop other objects at runtime in NWN.

1. Example: PC carries a helmet in inventory. PC can select the helmet, then click on the table with the helmet. If the PC is close enough to the table, the helmet is removed from inventory, and spawned at the location, at the correct z-axis (based on a local stored on the furniture).

NEEDS:

Store a local variable on a table that contains the required z-axis height, corresponding to the 'surface' of the tabletop.

Get the y and z positions of the table, and the angle too.

Create an Area Shape from stored locals on the table, which set the W and L of the Area of the tabletop. Could possibly draw a trigger and use that?

Using those coordinates, spawn the object.

Just some ideas on implementation which may not be useful.

Love the world!

JFK
JFK
JFK
CAP Rook
CAP Rook

Back to top Go down

Suggestions Empty Re: Suggestions

Post  lord_of_worms Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:24 pm

great idea, and not above my skills so i will def. look into this over the next few days.
i had a similar idea once so i think I still have most of my test mod intact for this, I shall look back into it, of course your idea of a variable on the placeable is prob. the better way to go.

and as for this thread, its ok to post like you did and other can use this to post their ideas as well.

I will keep you informed on this development as it contuinues here. so you can stay up to date on its evolvement. would you be willing to beta-test in the end?

great ideas, keep em coming
lord_of_worms
lord_of_worms
CAP Knight
CAP Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks!

You bet I'd beta test. This place is so much fun, it seems like the least I could do.

John
JFK
JFK
CAP Rook
CAP Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  lord_of_worms Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 pm

since this would require an OnItem activate to get it to work, what would you rather see?

each item you can remove have the special power? (not my first choice)
or have a special 'item' spawned on log-in that allows you to do such things, like a wand or somethin?

and what kind of things initially would you like to see?

you mentioned
1) Helmets
2) Beer Mugs and Glasses

?
any other ideas?
lord_of_worms
lord_of_worms
CAP Knight
CAP Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:34 pm

How about using a OnPCChat command?

Example: JFK has a beer mug, a helmet, and a plate of food in his inventory. He chats
'!place' and this sets up a local to be used when he drops the next item from his inventory. Now when he selects the plate in his inventory and clicks the table with it, the table's OnClicked fires, checks the local, and runs the script to take away the 'held' object, and replace it positioned on the table? Would that work?

As for items, well a lot of things would work pretty neatly. For example waiters/waitresses could put a plate of food or a drink on the bar or table when ordered. Warriors could put a helmet on the table next to them, or even a sword or axe. One could probably place a candle on a table, or a lantern. Spread out a map for viewing on the table in the War Room. Lay a clump of flowers on the bed. Heh heh. Or maybe a rose on a gravestone. More for RP than anything else, I suppose. Oh, a cook could put a pot or pan atop a stove, too.

JFK
JFK
CAP Rook
CAP Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  lord_of_worms Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 pm

How do any of you feel about persistant player owned shops?
I found a few on the vault ,but decided to throw together my own based on two that I liked parts of each.

does this interest any of you at all?

(it wouldnt delay the release this weekend so dont worry about that)
lord_of_worms
lord_of_worms
CAP Knight
CAP Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:51 pm

For me, more options for players are always welcome. The nature of the game means it can often devolve to killing things over and over, and anything that adds flavor or breaks up that kind of thing is great. The killing stuff is always there, when a player wants it, but other concerns can add new dynamics to it all.
How would player owned shops work? Does the player stock it, set prices, etc., or do they have to be there to sell? They can have NPC salesmen? I've never looked into anything of the sort. Or are we talking primarily about crafted items being sold, like a weaponsmithery?
Looking forward to that update. Wink
JFK
JFK
CAP Rook
CAP Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  lord_of_worms Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 am

works like this.

you see a shop for sale.
you buy shop.

you become owner.
as an owner you can do the following:

1) Change name of store
2) Change Prices for store buy/sell in units of 10%
3) decide whether to use appraisal skills
4) open store chest and stock it with whatever you wana sell in it , whatever is in it becomes available in store(only owner can access this chest)
5) open store vault (this is used for gold, take gold that was made in sales, deposit your own gold , take all gold, gold is needed though in order for store to BUY, if no gold in vault then store can only SELL.
6) Decide if you want to sell store (you will continue to own it until someone else actually buys it.

NPC is automatically spawned/and hired upon purchase of store
speak to him to access store.so No, you dont have to be there or logged in, but you DO have to actually go there to add more merchandise, collect gold, etc but the store itself will continue to run and be available for any players.
its persistant across server resets too.

Ideas I thought about implementing but not sure...
1) Opening and Closing times? would this be of ANY interest? I ask because if its not that big of a deal, why bother is my first impuse BUT if players really like the idea...well then...
2) Decorating inside shop the same as one does a house in this PW (problem is you WILL lose ANY and ALL furniture placed IF you sell it before 'picking up into your inventory' ALL of those furniture items...so that makes me think it might not be worth it?? what do you all think? plus, if you have 'lazy' PC owners your gonna enter a very,very empty lookin shop except for the salesguy...so again, maybe better to have the interior of the shop pre-decorated?

lord_of_worms
lord_of_worms
CAP Knight
CAP Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  SHJ Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 am

I agree with JFK on this. Anything that adds to the game and the world is a plus in my book.

Also, with player owned stores... great idea. I tend to toss all kinds of items in the community chest for others to use, and sells other items in Arbor Falls (so I can save up to buy a house.) However, upon server reset those items I sell are lost (I believe) so it would be nice to make a little cash selling stuff to people who could use it while still giving some away to help out the new arrivals. Plus it's nice to see what other people find that I haven't found yet.

A couple of questions...
Would the player be able to set their own buy / sell rates or would it be a set variable with only appraise effecting it?

Can you decide not to buy certain items (i.e. crafted merchandise?)

!!! Release this weekend !!! Canceling all my plans !!
SHJ
SHJ
CAP Squire
CAP Squire

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:24 am

Sounds very cool!

For opening/closing times, I do think it adds, especially if you allow the owner to set the times. Some less than upright owners might decide opening only in the evening is better, after all. Perhaps for every hour opened, the store loses a tiny percentage of profits to pay the NPC salesmen? That way, players must decide if its worth being open 24/7 or if they should tailor their hours more.

Secondly, could you allow the owner to open on an emergency basis at any time? That'd be kind of cool.

On the matter of decorating vs. predecorated, I think offer both options? For example, all start as an empty room, more or less. The owner may purchase a 'business furnishings' set, which includes several items pertinent to their 'type' of business, and it will then automatically be put in the place. Or they can do it all by hand. Initial cost of a set of items would probably be about the same as piecemeal purchases, but lack some in customizability over it.

At time of sale, owner could opt to sell the store as 'furnished' for a bit more than unfurnished, I suppose too.

All sounds great to me!

JFK
JFK
JFK
CAP Rook
CAP Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:28 am

Heh - shops could of course be targetable by thieves, both PC and NPC. Wink

They'd have to break in somehow, and get away with the loot without being caught. This opens up possibilities for guard animals, watchmen, alarm spells, etc., as well as the JFK Blue Moon Detective Agency to catch 'em! lol
JFK
JFK
CAP Rook
CAP Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  lord_of_worms Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:25 pm

A couple of questions...
Would the player be able to set their own buy / sell rates or would it be a set variable with only appraise effecting it?

Yes, the player can increment /decrement buy and/or sell rates by 10% independent of each other...so if you wanted a 50% cost Buy increase you would choose the
Increase by 10% option and choose it x5 times
(convo keeps count of what percent your currently buy/selling at and shows this info so there is no guesswork as to what your rates currently are before and after adjustment.

Secondly, could you allow the owner to open on an emergency basis at any time? That'd be kind of cool.explain more please? how do you mean? what would a example circumstance be where this would come into play?

Can you decide not to buy certain items (i.e. crafted merchandise?)
currently no, I didn't add this option in but I could look into it (maybe as a tree from one dialog node (to keep the dialog now tidy) say "adjust what can be purchased and sold" and then expand from there.
I assume this is for 'making specialty shops?' or something? cannot promise this feature would be available this weekend but it could be added in at a later time.

JFK Blue Moon Detective Agency
is this something I can download and look into JFK? sounds intriguing..

Heh - shops could of course be targetable by thieves, both PC and NPC
great idea here, I prob. wont implement it right away...this way we can bug test any current modifications before I tackle how I would do it..I see JAIL in the furture though for many people...lol
lord_of_worms
lord_of_worms
CAP Knight
CAP Knight

Back to top Go down

Suggestions Empty shops

Post  Shady Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:17 pm

player owned shops. - very cool! As mentioned, anything added to the game that lets the player "do stuff" is a bonus.
Shady
Shady
CAP Squire
CAP Squire

Back to top Go down

Post  JFK Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Alas, no. The Blue Moon Detective Agency was just a tongue-in-cheek reference to the old show Moonlighting from the 1980s. I simply meant PCs could own THAT as a business too, besides simply merchandise. Players could sell services, such as spellcasting, stone appraisal/cutting, etc. More of a jest than anything, really.

In a MUD I helped build and played for a number of years, many of these kinds of systems were in place. I can tell you, it made that world come to life! Now, not every player will like every thing, so it's cool to make stuff optional. You don't have to own a shop or business, or join the Watch. But you can.

As for emergency openings:
Suppose my potion shop is open from 8 am until 6 pm every day. The game time gets to be 2 am, and I decide, Holy Ilmater! We need some Heal potions NOW! I should have my shop key, be able to unlock and go in, and buy/sell what I want. Perhaps even, as owner of the inventory, get it for free?

Also, I think having a dedicated Banking system in place might be a good idea if it's not already in. Owners are taking a greater risk of robbery if they leave all the earnings in the store at night. Players too might want to stash cash in a bank account.

For after hours, a guard dog might be a good idea. Guard dog system I had worked on a long time ago was that Players could buy a guard dog (or another animal), and have a few commands. Basically you 'install' the guard animal to an allowable location (ie have to be a place you 'own' like your shop or your house or rented room). Once installed the animal will attack anyone who comes within the room, but won't leave the room. They will also bark and howl or make whatever noise they make, to alert the Guard or Watch or whatever. Now, at any time the owner of the guard dog can type !Calm to stop the attack, or !Heel to make them follow, or !Stay, etc. Most importantly, the owner can type !Guard Friend and add people to the guard's list of folks he won't attack.
Guard animals cost an initial amount, and a small monthly cost for food/water, etc.

So, food for thought.

JFK
JFK
JFK
CAP Rook
CAP Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down